Monday, November 01, 2004

'So what is that college thing?'

I have never been so thankful for my future profession and how it makes me aware of my government.

This weekend at my second job, some of the girls I worked with asked me to explain the Electoral College. They said they knew it existed, but other than that they were clueless. So, in the middle of our store I explained the Electoral College and then we started talking politics.

I don't usually like talking specifics about politics because I try really hard to be independent of partisanship, but I felt this was one of those times where talking would do some good.

We talked about the upcoming election and the girls I was working with didn't understand why the senate race was so important. I'm not sure if they even knew about local referendums and races that will be on the ballot, the ones that will have a direct effect on the community first. From my poli sci class that studies voting behaviors, I knew all the stats on why people didn't vote and how much of the population was uninformed about elections, but I had never seen it at first hand. I grew up around people who always researched candidates and their issues. My family has never voted straight party ticket, and they sure as heck weren't going to vote on personality; they voted for who would represent them and constituents in the best manner.

I realized how fortunate I am to constantly be forced to stay on top of issues and know what is going on around me. And because of this, I know there is more behind a campaign than ads and trash talk.

I know there are people who aren't like these girls, but a vast majority of our country is uninformed, and if they even bother voting at all, they probably don’t know everything about the person they are voting for.

So, if you aren't sure about who you are voting for, look up some information, away from their websites and other biased sources (I know, there aren't many out there), but don't be an uninformed voter, for this election or future ones.

Oh yeah, just in case you have been living under a rock, GO VOTE TOMORROW!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home