Thursday, August 12, 2004

Welcome

Welcome to A J-School Year.

We hope that during the next year (nine months really), you'll stop in from time to time to get an idea of what goes on in a modern American journalism school from the students' perspective. Ideally, students at other schools, professionals and students in high school considering a career in journalism will all learn something. In the process, our students will also learn a bit about "blogging."

The idea for this blog started with a call from a major newspaper's recruiter wondering why more minorities did not go into copy editing. I could speculate, but realized that the best people to tell us were students themselves. Ernie Wiggins, a fellow former professional who also teaches at the University of South Carolina j-school, and I got to talking, and what emerged was the idea of using this blog to provide a broader insight on a lot of other things, too: How do you handle the demands of juggling reporting classes that require lots of time with other classes, working, and - yeah - a life? What do you do when you begin to have doubts that this is the career (with its long hours and low pay) that you want to pursue? Oh, and how do you get through Fisher's editing class?

We're recruiting about two-dozen students, from all our majors, to tell you. And no, these are not just A students. You need to hear from everyone, if you're going to get an honest picture.

I have another Web log, Common Sense Journalism, from which I spout. So I and professor Wiggins will largely stay out of the way and let the students speak.

School starts in less than a week, and we'll start posting before that, so stop by regularly to see what we're up to.

And have a great j-school year!

Doug Fisher

3 Comments:

Blogger Tamika Cody said...

Well, this is my final semester at the J-School and I must say that I am relieved. This semester I will be in the broadcast “Senior Semester,” where the students will run the college newsroom on campus. We are the reporters; anchors, producers, camera operators, and everything else that will help us meet deadlines. A few times a week I will check in to let fellow “bloggers” know how this senior semester is going. A little piece of advice for those of you who are tying to become future journalist, do some internships, get some business cards, go to conventions and workshops and NETWORK!!! I will let you know why in future postings. So, stay tuned.

Tamika Cody
University of South Carolina

6:55 PM  
Blogger laura carver said...

So... the school year has officially begun, and summer, as we know it, is once again, 9 months away (*sigh*). You know school is in session when a college student, such as myself, is awake, typing a journal entry at, oh, 7:30 a.m. while running on a mere 3 hours of sleep. (apologies if this blog... well... doesn't run smoothly due to my lack of sleep)

It's week #2 of classes at USC, and let me tell you, it feels like week #493 for me. I transferred from a school of, give or take, around 600 people to this wonderfully populated school of almost 25,000 students. So obviously, I didn't have a hard time at all making a transition....

Yes I did.

It was interesting not being able to leave only 5 minutes before a class and still being able to possibly be the first person sitting down in a class of about 15 students. Here, well, because of East Quad in relation to ALL of my classes, I need a head start of about 25 minutes. Pickens Street is the best getter-upper in the morning. Trekking up that massive hill every morning is... uplifting. Literally. I feel like all the drivers passing me by are in a fit of laughter as they watch me crawl my way up the hill. On the positive side? I hear it gets easier as the year progresses.

I hope so.

So, first journal down, many more to come. Maybe in the next journal, my trek to class will decrease from leaving 25 minutes in advance, to 24 minutes.

7:43 AM  
Anonymous John Henningham said...

Congratulations to you all on a very interesting blog. It's being read with interest "down under".

cheers,

John Henningham
Director, Jschool: Journalism Education & Training (Brisbane, Australia)
http://www.jschool.com.au

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home