Thursday, January 20, 2005

Wise women

Entering my senior semester in the J-School has sent emotions through and through. There are emotions within me that are foreign and some that I would rather deny.

There is a pattern and a way of life that I have adapted myself to; my regular job, the way I eat, when I (don't) sleep and my crazy class schedule. I have been overwhelmed by the amount of friends and family that ask where and what I am doing with my life. It seems that I do not know exactly the answer and so I have created a story of what I dream of doing, someday. All I know is it sounds like a well-developed successful career map .

Meanwhile, I stumbled upon a book by photographer, Joyce Tenneson titled, "Wise Women." It's a book that celebrates courage and the beauty of women in their third phase of their lives. I found this book to be wonderfully insightful and something I strive to become. While flipping through this book, in the back of my mind, I thought of what it takes to be wise, a wise woman in today's society. Is it determined by the amount of degrees and academic honors? her employment? her LSAT scores? her university and her rank?

I reevaluated my post-graduation success story and have kept this quote in the back of my mind..."the most important thing it to try and enjoy life-because you never know when it will be gone. If you wake up in the morning and you have a choice between doing the laundry and taking a walk in the park, go for the walk. You'd hate to die and realize you had spent your last day doing the laundry!" -Christine Lee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home