Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Suits and leather

School started yesterday, and I began a legislative internship with the Associated Press today. I was an AP intern last year too, so I knew what to expect, but I remember my S.C. State House experience a little differently.
I remember walking into the ornate building last year and feeling overwhelmed, a misplaced nobody in a sea of suits. Coming back from the U.S. Capitol and the White House, this semester I felt better prepared for the job.
The legislative session began today, and a motorcyclist group called ABATE (A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactment) came out in full force to voice opinions on helmet law, seat belt enforcement, etc. I watched men wearing chaps, bandanas and black leather vests that showed off old tattoos wander around the State House right alongside the state legislators. After the security I faced daily in Washington, I couldn't believe my eyes. Here were politicians mingling with constituents, the way it should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home