Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Election Day

So, I worked for The State newspaper on election day. It turned out to be a lot different than I imagined, primarily in the aspect that everything seemed so calm. Not that I was expecting a "chaos in the newsroom" type deal, just a bit more excitement. I mean, it was only the day when the fate of our country for the next four years would be decided, which, correct me if I'm wrong, makes for a big news day. I guess I just thought the overall atmosphere would seem a little bit more energized.
It was an amazing experience, nonetheless. We got to go out in teams to a couple different precincts and interview people coming out of the polls. People were a lot nicer than I thought they'd be. Everyone we approached seemed pretty willing to talk to us. After being out in the heat for about three hours (It's not supposed to be above 80 in November!), we came to the conclusion that there really wasn't much diversity in the areas we were sent. We ended up talking to about 30 people and had to narrow the list down to our best six quotes. This was probably the hardest part because people had some really great things to say.
Luckily, we made our deadline. It was in the afternoon, so the craziness of election night had yet to set in. The relaxed environment probably also made it easier for the people to get the job done with as little stress as possible. Four of our quotes actually made it into the paper today. I was happy to see our work materialized in hard copy and excited to read what others had come up with. All in all, I was extremely pleased with the successful outcome. Besides being a tremendous opportunity, it makes for a pretty cool by-line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home