Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Pondering the Future

This is my first post on the blog. After two months I have finally made the time and effort to write something. Whether or not what I have to write is any interest to anyone is another subject entirely. As an English major and merely a Public Relations and Film Studies minor, I feel like the minority of the bloggers with j-school. Actually, my relationship to the j-school is the subject of this post. The other day my fellow blogger, roommate, and best friend asked me why I am minoring in PR and what exactly I want to do with it when I graduate. When she asked me this question, I was stumped. What do I want to be when I "grow up"? Am I spending my four years wisely? Since I graduated high school (actually since my junior year in high school), my plan was to go to college (more specifically the USC Honors College) and major in English and/or Journalism. But I have never actually thought about what comes after that. So when she asked the question that never crossed my mind but now plagues my dreams, I simply answered, "I don't know." I can tell you all the things I really want to do, all the dreams that I secretly have and all the ideas bouncing in my brain about my future, but all my dreams seem impractical, unrealistic. The one thing I truly want to do with my life is to write creatively; it's as simple, as unadorned, as unimpressive as that. But that takes time, effort and, most importantly, connections. Maybe I will end up as the PR representative of a publishing company, or maybe, my second choice in my future career, I will be a film reviewer. But as of this moment, as of my sophomore year in college, I still have no realistic idea about what I want to do or what I want to be.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

welcome to the life of a poster on the j-school blog!

whatever you end up doing just make sure you enjoy it. and nothing is unrealistic/impractical if you have the desire and drive to make it happen. as cliche as this sounds if you really want it then you will achieve it no matter what. if you want to write, then do it. and if you don't have time, make time. because nothing is more important than what you really want to be doing anyway. as far as advice i'll tell you what i was told as a senior in high school. take some time each day to write something. anything. it doesn't matter what. and read, read, read! good luck. p.s. you still have some time. (you always have some time). it's never too late or too early to start anything. so what are you waiting for?

"those who say it can't be done need to get out of the way of those who are doing it."

10:13 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

I think students who do not know what they want to do for a job, or those like you who merely feel a direction, are the lucky ones. You are free to explore. I see far too many students who are certain what they want to be when they "grow up." They are always the ones who complain: "Why do I have to learn this?" or "Why do I have to take that class?" That's sad. They'll get a degree, but I wonder if they'll get an education.

Enjoy your lack of certainty while you can.

4:48 PM  
Blogger AKS said...

Hello USC. I am a journalism student at The University of Kansas who is enrolled in the school's first online producer journalism class. I browsed through your Blog and was impressed because we are also using Blogger as a way to document our progress. We welcome you to visit our site at http://ehub.journalism.ku.edu/. You can then browse our Blogs, which are listed on the right side under 'eHub Resources' and 'Contributors.' 'Resources' provide links to classes where journalism students post stories they do in class and the 'Contributors' are those of us in online journalism. Those 11 Blogs are our individual sites where we post things related to what we are doing in class and in the school. Because we each control our own Blog, they represent the array of personalities in the class. We all have posted video of ourselves, photos and links to interesting sites in our entries. Like Leslie, we are also pondering our future, but more than that, the future of this medium. The class members are a combination of graduate students, undergrads, broadcast people, Web wizards and print journalists. The class is helping us all expand on a typical journalism education. I am a print journalist who is learning how to code. Scary. Please visit our Blogs and feel free to post comments! We look forward to reading what you think of our work.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home