Monday, September 27, 2004

Republican or Greek?

As Election Day is rapidly approaching, I am beginning to notice that being a George Bush fan has become very trendy around campus, especially in the Greek community. First off, I don't want anyone to think that I am against fraternities and sororities. I am very proud to be a member of one of the most elite greek organizations on campus. However, I feel that it is a tad unnecessary to broadcast political preference to the entire campus and to the whole world. My main example is the "W. The President" sticker that a large percentage of the Greek community has chosen to display on their cars.

Politcal preference is a private subject and I for one am a little uneasy about telling my closest friends who I vote for. If we were supposed to advertise our voting preference, then it wouldn't be such a secretive process. It seems as if to a be a Republican is almost as trendy as owning a Vera Bradley handbag. I would like to challenge people on the USC campus to be original this November.

Don't let the sticker choice of someone else influence the way our country is run for the next 4 years.

2 Comments:

Blogger Graeme Moore said...

Freedom of speech.

What do you mean political preference is supposed to be private? I think it can be most anything you want it to be. Freedom of speech is what makes this country tick, and without it, how would we know anything about anything. I see nothing wrong with supporting a candidate of your choice. Explain the difference between having a "W" or "Kerry/Edwards" sticker on your car as opposed to a USC or Clemson sticker? There is none. One more thing--I hardly doubt anyone has ever been persuaded to one side by simply seeing a bumper sticker. "By George, that Mom's van had a "W" sticker on it...I'm going to vote Bush!"
Also, I really wish people would quit stereotyping greeks.

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you object to a rainbow sticker on the back of a car driven by two homosexuals? They would, after all, be broadcasting the most secretive of all choices, their sexuality. I doubt you would.

It seems that your offense is taken not by the method of expression but the message of that expression.

And what does "original" mean? A Kerry sticker? A Kerry vote? See, your post is a perfect example of how liberal bias creeps into the media (if you are in j-school). You don't directly condemn a group (Greeks) or a candidate (Bush), but your overall dislike of Bush is easily seen in your comments. If this was supposed to be a neutral opinion on keeping one's views private, you missed.

PS As the stickers say, this is, in fact, "Bush Country!"

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home