Friday, September 10, 2004

An American

"I don't do it for the money, there's bills I can't pay"

I was frequenting a local bar and ran into one of my highschool buddies. He had just gotten back from Iraq; a Marine who had given his live to defend what we believe. When I asked him what he thought of the war, he said it was not worth it. I contemplated his view and his situation and gave it some serious thought. I have never been involved with the military directly but I know people who have served the armed forces including my cousin and friends. Tonight was evidence of how we all enter the real world at different points in our lives. He did not go to college, but instead defends what we as American citizens enjoy everyday. This was one of my friends who was defending what we take for granted.

The very fact that I can post this blog is evidence of the free society that we live in. I was listening to NPR today and they were covering a Pro-Democracy rally in Hong Kong. One of the men, who was from China on a business trip, was commentating on the fact that he would be incarcerated if he spoke out against such actions in his own country. I know we are coming up on an election. But please remember how America got here. Please remember the soldiers who died to gain this freedom.

Many of my friends ask me what is to gain from this war. I tell them what came of war against the Nazi's, the British, and other world conflicts. War made this great land free. Many are quick to make fun of the current administration. We are establishing democracy in places where such did not exist. This is what America is founded. If anyone wants to argue this, I will gladly meet them at the flagpole after school........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home