Monday, August 23, 2004

Broadcasting Internships

Well, it’s only the third day of senior semester and it is off to a slow start. We have lectures on how to build a resume tape/audition tape. Last week we watched a documentary on breaking news. Did you all know that Miami is the number one city for live breaking news? Something to think about if you really would like to work in that market. I graduated from high school in Miami, and let me just say many of my soap operas had cut-ins of late breaking news, almost everyday.
To make sure that I really wanted to be a news junkie journalist, I decided to get my foot in the door by doing an internship. Instead, I landed a tape editing position just by being in the right place at the right time. The fast pace scared me at first, but I buckled down and I rolled with the deadlines. From that moment I said, YES I WANT TO BE A JOURNALIST. I took a break from the editing job to concentrate more on my journalism courses, after all the classes are tough, especially COPY EDITING!!! I will share some stories!
Over the summer, I had an opportunity to intern as a one-man-band for eleven weeks. I pitched story ideas, learned how to develop contacts, become a better photographer, and even shot my own stand-ups. However, my greatest accomplishment by the middle of my internship was that I edited my packages in less than an hour on the linear edit bay!!! I learned a lot at my internship and it gave me enough experience to know that being a journalist is exactly what I want to do at this point and time in my life.
So, get out there and “get your foot in the door” by doing an internship and make sure that you will be able to get your hands on some of the equipment. Some stations won’t let an intern touch the equipment but that is usually in the larger markets. Come back soon to hear how having business cards helped my networking skills during my internship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home